Applying for a Belgium Work Permit: The Ultimate Guide

If you want to move to Belgium or take a job there, make sure you understand which documents are required and how long they will be valid before you travel!

You will probably need a work permit to work in Belgium.

This is because Belgium is a member of the EU, which means it has a free movement of workers agreement with other EU countries.

If your country has such an agreement with Belgium, you may be able to legally enter and live there without having to apply for a permit first.

If this is not the case, But: You will still have some options available when looking for jobs in Belgium – but none as straightforward as simply showing up at the border and saying, “I’m from America! We can all go home now.”

Work permits are required for most jobs.

Work permits are required for most jobs. If you are a citizen of a country that is part of the EU, you can work in Belgium without a work permit. If not, then you will need to apply for one as well.

Work permits are employer-specific and cannot be transferred between employers within one company or companies within an industry sector (for example, tourism).

Blue card holders may work in any job in any location.

  • You must have a contract with a Belgian company.
  • You should have a work permit and a visa to be able to apply for it.
  • The application process involves filling out forms and paying €55.

Those EU citizens who do not qualify for the Blue Card or an exemption may still be able to apply for a regular work permit.

You may be eligible for a regular work permit if you:

  • We are already living in Belgium and have been legally employed there for at least 12 months.
  • Have an EU passport or ID card, or the right to live in another EU country.
  • Have been registered as self-employed by your employer at least twice within 15 months from your arrival in Belgium (or during the first year of employment). If you’re changing employers, this period can be extended to three years if you were previously not registered with them as self-employed.

A Belgian work permit is employer-specific.

A Belgian work permit is employer-specific. In other words, if you change jobs, you will need a new permit.

If your employer changes its name or address, then it’s also necessary for them to apply for a replacement permit before they can continue working in Belgium.

Change employers, you will need a new Belgian work permit.

If you change jobs, you must apply for a new permit. Suppose your employer is based in Belgium and they have not yet been granted a work permit.

In that case, they may be able to sponsor your application by providing evidence of their company’s financial situation.

But, if this is not possible, then it’s likely that the company cannot afford such an expense (and so would rather hire someone else).

If you change employers but stay within the same industry sector or job title – for example, from retail sales clerk at Walmart Incorporated to retail sales clerk at Walmart Europe – then there is no need for additional paperwork since both positions are considered similar enough; so long as both employees meet all other criteria required under federal law (such as having been employed full-time since last October), then both employees should still be eligible for entry into Belgium without any additional documentation needed beyond what was already provided by their previous employers when renewing last year’s work permits before starting anew next year.”

The duration of your Belgian residence/work permit will depend on your qualifications and the type of permit you receive.

The duration of your Belgian residence/work permit will depend on your qualifications and the type of permit you receive.

  • If you’re applying for a single-entry visa, the maximum length is 90 days. This means that if the work permit application process takes longer than 90 days, then it’s possible that your time in Belgium could be extended by another 90 days for each additional month spent waiting for approval from immigration authorities.
  • If you’re applying for multiple-entry visas (such as student and tourist visas), then this depends on how often each visa type allows entry into Belgium: Schengen area countries have no restrictions; other non-Schengen area countries have more limited restrictions based on their status within Europe—for example, Ireland allows citizens from all 28 member states without any prior permission required. In contrast, France requires proof of residency before issuing an entry visa.
If you have a highly skilled job, your residence/work permit may be valid for three years with multi-year renewals based on continued employment.

You can apply for multiple extensions of this type if needed; however, there are limitations on how long any extension will last:

  • Extensions expire at the end of their normal term (e.g., after two years) and cannot be renewed by a new application unless they were due to expire before arrival (for example, if they were granted while still abroad).
  • Extensions might not exceed two additional years beyond their original expiry date if they were granted as part of another application process, such as when applying under exceptional circumstances or humanitarian grounds – these types of extensions require specific documentation proving that extenuating circumstances exist which justify having them extended beyond their normal expiration period.
There is no quota on highly skilled workers and their family members. However, it can take three months to receive approval.

To speed up the process, you should create a file in your employer’s application system that contains all relevant information about yourself and your spouse/partner (if applicable), such as:

  • Your details, including name, address and nationality;
  • Your employment history;
  • Any previous work permit applications you have made. This will help avoid delays in processing future applications and inform authorities if any changes occur during this period.
If you want to move to or take a job in Belgium.

If you want to move to or take a job in Belgium, ensure you understand which documents are required and how long they will be valid before travelling!

To apply for a work permit in Belgium:

  • You need a valid passport. The passport must have at least 6 months of validity left at the time of your application (or more if there are multiple applications).
  • You can apply from anywhere in the world, but it’s best if your application is made within two months of arriving in Belgium.
  • If this isn’t possible due to timing issues, please contact us as soon as possible so we can assist with getting these additional requirements met before we issue an appointment date/time at our offices here in Brussels.
The Last Word

Belgium is one of Europe’s most popular destinations, with a growing economy and great quality of life.

The country offers a wide range of opportunities for ex-pats, including jobs in business, sports and entertainment, and new career paths in science and technology.

It’s also a great place to raise children because it has nearly all the amenities you could wish for: good schools, low crime rates (relative to other European countries), and friendly locals who speak English fluently, so communication is easy!

Suggested Articles