If you’re planning a trip or adventure to Finland, knowing how long it will take before your visa application is approved is essential.
This post will cover everything you need to know about applying for a Finland Visa with Ease!
Does your trip to Finland require a visa?
If you are a citizen of a country requiring a visa to enter Finland, your trip will require a visa.
If you are not required to get a visa, then it is recommended that you do so.
Suppose an applicant’s passport contains any stamp or marks indicating that they have been denied entry into any country due to their inability to get such permission (such as “refused”).
In that case, this fact should be stated.
On the form itself, along with the reason for refusal; otherwise, there may be issues later on when trying to get new documents related to their stay in Finland.
Which type of Finland visa do you need?
The type of Finland visa you need depends on your intentions. There are several options, including:
- Tourist visa (which is valid for 90 days and can be extended for another 30 days) – You may want to visit Finland as a tourist. If this is the case, you should apply for a tourist visa before leaving home. When applying for this type of visa, please ensure that all required documents are included in your application package and include proof that you have sufficient funds available upon arrival in Finland.
- Business Visa – Do business with Finnish companies? Then it’s time to start planning! To get a business visa requires an invitation letter from an established company based in Finland or some other country recognized by the Finnish government and proof that they would like to hire your services after receiving their invitation letter.
How long does the Schengen visa processing take?
The processing time for a Finland visa depends on the embassy or consulate you choose to apply at.
It can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks, but it might be faster if you apply at an embassy.
If you’re applying in person, expect to wait 2-3 weeks for your notification letter from the consulate and then another couple of weeks before getting your visa stamped into your passport.
If applying by mail (which we recommend), plan on receiving notification within about 3 weeks once it has been processed by our team here in Helsinki.
How much does the Finland Visa application cost?
The cost of applying for a Finland Visa depends on the country you are applying from.
The fee is paid by credit card, and there are no refunds.
It’s the same for everyone: You can pay in USD dollars or euros (EUR).
You will also need to pay an additional service fee of $15 when you apply online through our website and another $7 if you submit your documents by mail.
What are the Finland visa requirements?
- You must be a national of a country that requires a visa to enter Finland.
- You must have a valid passport with at least six months of validity left on your passport and at least two blank pages for the visa application form (a digitalized copy of your passport is acceptable).
- The Finnish Immigration Service must approve your application within 30 days of submission. Otherwise, your application will not be considered complete until all requirements have been met by you as an applicant for this specific type of visa or entry permit into Finland under certain conditions such as:
1. Documents required for your Finland Visa Application Process.
- Passport valid for at least 3 months after the intended departure from Finland
- Passport-sized photos
- Fee payment receipt
- Application form (downloadable from this website)
- Proof of travel insurance (the insurance must be valid and have been issued within 30 days of applying for your visa)
- Proof of accommodation if you plan to stay in Finland after your visa expires. You can either provide a bank statement showing that you have enough money to cover your stay or proof that you are staying with friends/family members willing to host/host a foreigner until their visas expire.
1.1 Required documents for all applicants.
- Passport photo
- Proof of travel (flight itinerary)
- Proof of accommodation (hotel booking confirmation)
- Proof of financial means (bank statement, credit card statement, etc.)
- Proof of medical insurance coverage in your country or abroad. You can also get this from your employer if you work as a tourist here in Finland. This is not mandatory but recommended because it shows that we trust you to care for yourself while travelling through Europe! If someone else will be taking care of your health during this trip, please let them know that there are some things they should do before leaving home so that everything runs once they arrive at their destination(s).
1.2 Required documents for applicants travelling for business purposes.
- 2 Required documents for applicants travelling for business purposes
- Passport (valid for the period of validity of your visa)
- Visa application form with all required documents attached (see Chapter 2.)
- Two passport-sized photos, with each photo affixed with a plain white sticker bearing the applicant’s name and signature. The applicant must be able to read their name in the photograph on each side; any other names or signatures should be written by hand instead of stamped onto it as part of this process. This rule applies not only at immigration offices but also when applying online via the e-Visa website (link below). Suppose you are unable to print out photos yourself. In that case, additional charges may be involved if done through online service providers such as PayPal, etcetera – either way, consult with our team before deciding which option works best for you!
1.3 Required documents for applicants travelling for tourism purposes.
- Passport with at least 6 months validity
- Passport-sized photos (2)
- Proof of accommodation in Finland. This can be a letter from a hotel or hostel or an invoice with the dates and amount paid for your stay. If you have booked accommodation through Booking.com, you may also upload your confirmation email to prove that you have paid for the reservation. Ensure all details on this form are clear and legible so we can process your application!
- Proof of travel insurance coverage for unforeseen events during your trip (i.e., medical assistance). You must show us evidence that shows how much coverage would cost when needed most: in case of accident/injury while travelling outside Europe or in case someone else was hurt due to negligence on your part of yours during any activity related connected with this type of trip (for example trekking). The documents must state what happened; otherwise, we cannot issue visas based on circumstantial evidence without further corroborating information such as witnesses, etcetera.”
1.4 Required documents for applicants travelling for medical treatment.
- Required documents for applicants travelling for medical treatment:
- Medical certificate. This is a document issued by a Finnish medical practitioner stating that you have an illness requiring specialized treatment in Finland, which can be obtained from any public hospital or private doctor’s office. The certificate must be issued six months before your trip starts (the issue date must not be earlier than the day before your departure). You should also bring this document when applying for a visa at the country’s embassy/consulate.
- Travel insurance policy covering the period from 1st October to 31st March (or later) and covering all risks of accidents and death caused by sickness/illness during travel abroad even if insurance is not purchased from us; proof of accommodation; proof of financial means (bank account number); return ticket; sufficient funds amounting to at least EUR 500 per person as required by law (this amount does not include tips); employment contract confirmation letter issued within 6 months before application date signed by employer confirming job start date along with salary information etc., relationship letters gave within 6 months prior t
1.5 Required documents for minor applicants (below the age of 18).
- 5 Required documents for minor applicants (below the age of 18).
- A photocopy of your passport, with at least 6 months remaining validity from the date of issue.
- Proof of relationship between the minor and their parent or legal guardian, such as Birth certificate, Marriage certificate, Divorce papers, Court order etc…
- Proof of identity for both parents together with one recent photo (selfie) taken within 3 months before applying for a visa application form at any Finnish embassy/consulate abroad or online on our website.
2. General Visa Requirements to apply for a Schengen Visa at the Finnish Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence.
- A passport is valid for at least 3 months after the end of your trip.
- A valid visa application form and supporting documents, such as your travel itinerary, proof of accommodation and financial means.
- Proof of family ties (e.g., marriage certificate).
You can get a Finland Schengen visa and start planning your trip! Learn everything about applying, including requirements and fees!
You can apply for a Finland visa online.
You can also apply for a Finland visa at the embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
The Last Word
So, now that you know everything about applying for a Finland Visa and what documents are required, it’s time to book that flight! You can start planning your trip today.