San Marino maintains an open border with Italy. Since San Marino is only accessible via Italy, thus Schengen visa rules apply de facto.
- Everything You Need to Know About Applying for a Schengen Visa
- Essential Documents You Need for Travel in the EU
- Travel Documents: How to Prepare for a Trip Abroad (Ultimate Guide)
Foreign visitors staying more than ten days in San Marino must have a permit from the government.
San Marino Visa Requirements!
To enter San Marino, your passport must be valid for at least three months after the date you arrive in San Marino. Your passport must also be a machine-readable passport (MRP).
If you are travelling to San Marino, your passport must have at least two blank pages available for entry and exit stamps.
Proof of onward travel
To enter San Marino, you must show proof of onward travel (often a return ticket) and a confirmed hotel booking.
Proof of sufficient funds
Proof of enough funds. The amount you must show is EUR 100 per day. This should be in the form of a bank or credit card statement that is valid for your stay.
Proof of accommodation during the stay
You will be asked to provide proof of accommodation during your stay in San Marino.
The host must provide an address for you in San Marino and will have to sign a declaration of responsibility.
They also have to prove that they have enough accommodation for the applicant, which means providing their passport and copies of other documents (for example, work contract).
For your application to be successful, your host needs to meet all the abovementioned requirements.
Visa Application Forms
San Marino visas are not available online. If you wish to visit San Marino alone, there is no dilemma: you must visit the Italian embassy.
San Marino Visa – Application, Requirements
The following documents are required for a San Marino visa:
- A passport is valid for at least three months beyond your date of entry into San Marino and a photocopy of its data page.
- Completed and signed the application form, which you can download here.
- One passport size colour photograph (recent against a white background).