The South Africa visa application process is an easy one. You can complete it online in less than two hours, and you’ll be on your way to exploring the wilds of Africa! Here’s how:
A South Africa Visa is a document that allows a foreign national to enter, transit and stay in South Africa.
It is usually issued by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
The DHA issues visas to non-South African nationals wishing to enter or stay in South Africa for lawful purposes.
A visa can be either a single or multiple entry. You need a visa if you are travelling or working in South Africa, even on a short-term basis!
South Africa Visa-Free Eligible Countries
To get a South Africa Visa Free, you must be an eligible applicant. Eligible applicants include nationals of the following countries:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
For more information on the eligible countries and passport holders, please visit our website at dha.gov.za
To apply for a South Africa visa online, you need the following:
- A passport photo (with white background)
- Your passport (you can upload a copy if needed; this is the only time that it’s allowed)
- Proof of travel, like flight tickets or an eTicket receipt. You must also be able to show this on arrival at customs at Johannesburg International Airport in South Africa.
- Proof of funds – you will need to show that you have R50 000 available for use during your stay in South Africa. This can be demonstrated through cash or deposited 14 days before arrival with a bank. It is also important to note that there are no ATMs in many rural areas across South Africa. So we recommend packing some local currency into your luggage and US Dollars or Euros if possible.
Apply for a South Africa Visa.
You can apply for a South Africa visa online by filling out the electronic application form, submitting it online and paying the fee.
- You’ll need to prepare the following documents:
- Valid passport;
- Two (2) recent photographs (size 35mm x 45mm);
- Copy of your return ticket or itinerary;
- Bank statement showing proof of enough funds to cover your expenses during your stay in South Africa;
- You must also contact your local police station 24 hours after arrival in South Africa.
The Last Word
If you are planning on travelling to South Africa, applying for a visa may be a good idea. There are many different types of visas available, depending on your situation.
For example, if you want to work in South Africa or study there, apply for the appropriate types of visas and other documents such as birth certificates or transcripts if needed!
- Applying for a Seychelles Visa: Requirements and Tips
- San Marino Visa Information & Requirements
- Oman Visa Application Online (eVisa)
- Russian Visa: A step-by-step guide to applying for a Russia e-visa
- Applying for a Rwandan Visa: Requirements and Process
- Tonga Visa Requirements: What You Need to Know
- Tuvalu Visa for Tourists and Business Visitors
- 5 Tips for Applying for a Trinidad and Tobago Visa
- Easy Way to Get a Togo Visa
- Tanzania Visa: How to Get a Tanzania eVisa in Easy Steps