How to Get a Switzerland Work Visa in 5 Easy Steps

If you want to work in Switzerland, you’ll need a work visa. There are two types of work visas that you can apply for:

A tourist visa allows people to visit Switzerland, but it only lasts six months and requires visitors to have an onward ticket.

A “permanent” or “temporary residence permit” allows you to live and work in Switzerland if your employer sponsors your visa application (i.e., pays for it).

Get a job offer in Switzerland.

Once you’ve decided to apply for a work visa, the next step is to get a job offer.

This can be tricky because of Switzerland’s strict immigration rules.

You don’t want to go down this path if you’re self-employed or have other options (like going back home).

A good way around this is by finding an employer who will sponsor your application—they’ll cover all costs associated with hiring someone from abroad and provide other benefits such as housing or health insurance coverage.

If this sounds like something that would work for your circumstances, then let’s talk about how it would work in practice!

Register with the Canton (State) of Switzerland where you will work.

To get a work visa for Switzerland, you’ll need to register with the Canton (State) of Switzerland where you will be working.

This can be done once you’ve received an offer from a company in that state, but before then, it’s best to ensure everything is in order and that your documentation is complete.

Apply for an L Permit.

The next step is to apply for an L Permit. This is a work permit issued to non-EU/EFTA citizens, which allows you to work in Switzerland for a maximum of 5 years and 4 years for citizens of Australia and Canada.

To apply for an L Permit, you’ll need:

  • A valid passport from your home country (or proof that you’ve returned home)
  • A letter from your employer stating why they want you on their staff and where they can be contacted if any questions arise during your stay in Switzerland

Apply for a ( Switzerland Work Visa) Swiss Work Permit.

Switzerland Work VisaThe first step to getting a work visa is to apply for a Swiss Work Permit. You will need to:

  • Have an offer of employment from a company in Switzerland willing to sponsor your application.
  • Submit an official employment contract, along with all required documents and fees.
  • Provide proof of good conduct (e.g., no criminal record). This can be done through: – A certificate issued by the Justice Ministry; or – An affidavit signed by one person who knows you well and has personal knowledge about how well-behaved you are; or – A police report documenting any incidents involving violence against others, such as assaults or theft/burglary charges that resulted in jail time at least three months ago (the exact date doesn’t matter unless it was less than three months ago). If none of these options seems viable, consider getting some counselling instead? It may help!

Get a Swiss Residence Permit.

  • Get a Swiss Residence Permit. After working in Switzerland for three years, you can apply for a residence permit. To do so, you must already have acquired your temporary work visa and reside in Switzerland (i.e., no criminal record).
  • Apply for your first residence permit at the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) office closest to where you live or work. You will need to provide proof that you have worked as an employee since arriving in Switzerland and an application form which includes all necessary details about yourself and documents supporting your claim of having lived in Switzerland over these past three years.
A work visa is necessary if you want to work in Switzerland

If you want to work in Switzerland, a work visa is necessary. Work visas are issued by the Federal Office of Migration (BFM) and can be obtained at one of their offices or by attending an interview.

Some work visas are easier than others: some people are eligible for a “Zur Aufenthaltsbewilligung” (work authorization), while others need an “Aufenthaltsgenehmigung.”

The difference between these two types of permits has less to do with where they’re from and more with how long they plan on staying in Switzerland; whether someone has been living here before will also play into how they receive approval for either type of permit.

The Last Word

If you want to work in Switzerland, you need a work visa. The best option is an L Permit which allows you to live and work in the country for up to three years with no restrictions.

You can apply for this if you have a job offer, but it’s more likely that your employer will help with this process.

After applying online or by calling the cantonal office closest to where you live, they will send out instructions on what needs to be done next for your paperwork to go through at all stages (such as collecting medical documents for TB testing).

Suggested Articles