The Turkey e-visa (also known as an electronic visa) is a visa that can be applied for online.
It allows you to enter the country for business or tourism for up to 90 days.
It’s a great option if you don’t have time to apply in person at the Turkish embassy or consulate and want to avoid paying extra fees on arrival at the airport!
Turkey Visa Application – The e-Visa Process
What is an electronic visa?
An electronic visa is an electronic document that the Turkish government issues. It’s an alternative to a paper visa, permitting you to enter Turkey for up to 90 days.
It can be used for business or tourism purposes — though not both at once.
Who needs a Turkish visa?
You’ll need to apply for a visa if you’re not a Turkish citizen or don’t have a passport from an EU country, the EEA (European Economic Area), or Switzerland.
If you have any questions about who needs to apply for a Turkish visa, check out this list:
**People with citizenship from Azerbaijan, Georgia and Ukraine do not require visas.
What are the requirements for a Turkey visa application?
- Passport validity: Your passport must be valid for at least six months after entry into Turkey.
- One passport-sized photo: You will need a passport-size photo that must be glued onto the application form to submit your visa application.
- Proof of passport validity: A photocopy of your valid passport with at least two blank pages (page 1 and page 2). If you are not travelling with a valid passport or if you have an expired one, you will need to get it renewed before applying for a Turkish visa.
- Proof of enough funds: You must show evidence that you have enough money for your trip to Turkey, such as bank statements and cash cards showing enough funds available.
How do I complete the Turkey e-visa form?
You can complete the electronic visa application process using a computer or mobile device. The system supports English and Turkish, so you can use your native language to fill out the form.
Details required in your Turkey e-visa application include:
- Your passport details (number, expiry date and country of issue)
- Your contact details (name, email address and phone number)
- Your flight details (airline name, flight number and destination airport)
How much time does it take to process the e-visa application?
The e-visa application is processed within 72 hours, but the processing time may vary due to holidays and system maintenance.
The system is available 24/7, and the processing time is displayed in real-time so that you can check the status of your application at any time.
All information you provide will be encrypted and stored to protect it from third-party access.
How can I check my application status?
You can check the status of your application online.
- Go to the e-Visa website and click on ‘Check Application Status.
- You will be able to see the status of your application on the website.
How long can I stay in the country with the electronic visa?
- You can stay in Turkey for 30 days with an electronic visa.
- If you have a Turkish residence permit, you may be able to stay for up to 90 days.
- If you hold a residence permit from another Schengen country, the maximum length of your stay is 180 days.
What to do if I want to extend my stay in Turkey?
If you want to extend your stay in Turkey, you can apply for an extension at the Immigration Office.
But, you must apply for an extension within 30 days of entry into the country.
The maximum time a visa can be extended is 90 days if you are a tourist and 180 days if you are a business traveller.
If this does not suffice, extending your stay by up to 360 days at 35 USD per month is possible, but this option is only available under specific conditions (e.g., healthcare workers).
Can I enter Turkey through any port of entry?
You can enter Turkey by air, sea, or land.
If you are flying in from another country, you will most likely enter through Atatürk International Airport in Istanbul.
Other airports that receive international flights include Sabiha Gökçen International Airport (Istanbul), Antalya Airport (Antalya), Dalaman Airport (Dalaman), and Izmir Adnan Menderes International Airport (Izmir) and Ercan International Airport (Northern Cyprus).
If you’re travelling by boat from a nearby country such as Greece or Cyprus, you may be able to arrive via the ports of Marmaris, Bodrum or Rhodes; Antalya; Ayvalik; Cesme; Izmir or Kuşadası, where ferries are departing daily on routes across the Mediterranean Sea.
You’ll also see ferries docking at coastal cities like Trabzon and Kastelorizo Island on the Eastern Black Sea Coast!
Can I apply for a visa on arrival in Turkey?
You can apply for a visa on arrival in Turkey if you meet the following requirements:
- You have a valid passport.
- You have an onward or return ticket.
- You are not on a blocklist or travelling to Turkey for illegal purposes (such as conducting business transactions that violate Turkish law).
You can now apply for a Turkish e-visa online.
Now you can apply for a Turkish e-visa online.
The e-Visa is valid for up to three months, so if you’re staying in Turkey for less than this time, make sure to book flights that leave before the end date on your electronic document.
If your trip lasts longer than three months, you must apply at the consulate instead of online.
The e-Visa application is open 24 hours a day and seven days a week, so there’s no need to worry if it is inconvenient with your schedule!
You can use it as often as necessary until you have obtained approval or rejection of your visa request (including multiple entries).
The Last Word
If you need to travel to Turkey, it’s good to know that the e-visa process is easy and convenient.
You can apply for your visa online, and once approved, you will receive an electronic document at the email address provided during registration.
The e-visa is valid for three months from the date of issue and can be used multiple times during this period by entering through any port of entry into Turkey.
Suppose you plan on staying longer than 90 days or want to enter Turkey via an airport with no Turkish embassy (such as Dubai).
In that case, you should apply.
With an embassy or consulate, before leaving the home country, they can issue a regular visa stamp in your passport when you arrive at the destination airport in Istanbul or other cities like Izmir, Ankara, etc.!
- Apply for Uganda Visa Online in 4 Easy Steps
- Everything You Need to Know About Applying for an Uzbekistan Visa
- How to Apply for a Vietnam Visa: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Here’s How to Get Your Egypt Visa: Ready to Explore the Pyramids?
- Applying for a Canada Visa Online: The Ultimate Guide
- Australia Visa Application: How to Apply Online
- How to Apply for a U.S. Visa: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Applying for a U.K. Visa is Easy – Do it Online!
- Everything You Need to Know About Applying for a Schengen Visa