A Turkmenistan Visa is required for foreigners who want to enter the country and stay there for some time.
Conditions for visa approval vary depending on different factors such as nationality, occupation, and duration of stay.
Turkmenistan Visa on arrival
A visa on arrival is not always available. It’s also not a good option for all nationalities and is not available at all entry points in Turkmenistan.
The visa on arrival is only valid if you travel by plane or train and only for tourists.
The price varies depending on your nationality, but it is usually around $60 or 300 Manats (the currency of Turkmenistan).
Before starting the application process, you can find out how much your visa will cost at the Turkmenistan Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Transit visa on arrival
If you are travelling through Turkmenistan and need a visa, you can apply for a transit visa on arrival.
You must be travelling through the country for less than 12 hours and have a valid visa for the country you are travelling to.
You must also have a valid ticket for the next leg of your journey.
An electronic visa (e-visa)
If you’re a citizen of one of the countries listed below, you can apply for an e-visa online and receive your visa via email.
This is a convenient option because it eliminates needing to visit an embassy or consulate.
The e-visa is valid for 30 days from the derate it was issued and grants multiple entries into Turkmenistan during that period.
Business visa on arrival
A business visa on arrival is issued to foreign citizens who want to visit Turkmenistan for business purposes.
The business visa can be obtained at the international airports upon arrival in Turkmenistan without going through any other formalities.
To get a business visa, you need to provide the following documents:
- A completed application form (photocopy)
- A copy of your passport (page with personal information and photo)
- Copy of your insurance policy or an invitation letter from an organization that provides medical insurance coverage during your stay in Turkmenistan
What is required for a Turkmenistan visa?
To apply for a Turkmenistan visa, you’ll need the following:
- Passport with at least six months of validity remaining.
- Two passport-size photos (photocopies not accepted).
- Proof of travel insurance.
- Proof of travel reservations (hotel booking confirmation).
Steps for applying for a tourist visa to Turkmenistan
Here are the steps for applying for a tourist visa to Turkmenistan:
- Please complete the visa application form (you can download it from the Turkmenistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs website). This includes your contact details, passport number and nationality, as well as information about your travel plans. You’ll have to sign it as well. Include all supporting documents with your application, so you don’t have to resubmit them later. If any of these documents are missing, or if anything is confusing about what’s written down, you might need to contact the embassy before submitting your application. You’ll be able to use this form only once in any 12 months; if you need multiple trips within that period, you’ll need to fill out a new form each time.
- Include one photo was taken within the last six months (2×2 inches)
- Show proof of medical insurance covering all countries visited during the trip, including transit flights through Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Cairo airports.
Documents required for a tourist visa from U.K. citizens
For U.K. citizens, the following documents are required:
- Copy of your passport
- Application form (if asked to fill out)
- Two passport photos with white background (3x4cm)
- Copy of the flight confirmation or travel itinerary
- Hotel booking confirmation
- Travel insurance documentation (a copy or screenshot is fine)
- Visa fee receipt
Application fee and processing time for British citizens
- You must pay a visa fee of $50.
- Processing time is five working days.
- You can pay in cash or by credit card at the Turkmenistan embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
If you need your visa in less than five working days, you must pay an extra $50 for “express service”.
Travel insurance requirements and recommendations for a Turkmenistan visa
If you’re travelling to Turkmenistan, you may be required to show proof of travel insurance.
Travel insurance is not required for citizens of the United States or Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
But, it is recommended that travellers obtain it if anything happens while in Turkmenistan.
You can purchase travel insurance online at World Nomads or Atlas Travel Insurance.
The following information should also be included in your policy:
- The name, address and phone number of the insurer/underwriter;
- The effective date of coverage;
- The duration of coverage;
When applying for a visa, applicants must provide a letter from their insurer indicating that they have purchased this coverage within seven days before arrival in Turkmenistan.
If you do not have this letter yet but want to apply for a visa anyway, bring proof that your policy was purchased after purchasing your ticket (for example, emails with confirmation numbers).
The Last Word
Getting your Turkmenistan visa on arrival is possible, but we advise against it.
The application process is meant to deter travellers from entering the country, and many have been turned away without explanation.
If you plan a trip to Turkmenistan, you will need a Turkmenistan visa before arrival.
The best way to apply for this type of entry permit is through an approved tour operator that can handle all the paperwork for you.
- Tajikistan Visa: How to Apply and What You Need to Know
- Make Applying for an Azerbaijan Visa Easy with These Tips
- Applying for a Turkey Visa Made Easy with e-Visa
- Everything You Need to Know About Applying for an Uzbekistan Visa
- Here’s How to Get Your Egypt Visa: Ready to Explore the Pyramids?
- Applying for a Canada Visa Online: The Ultimate Guide
- Australia Visa Application: How to Apply Online
- How to Apply for a U.S. Visa: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Applying for a U.K. Visa is Easy – Do it Online!
- Everything You Need to Know About Applying for a Schengen Visa