The Best Way to Apply for a US Green Card

A US Green Card is your ticket to living and working in the United States.

The process of getting a green card can be complicated and confusing, but we have all the information you need to know about how to apply for one!

Who is eligible for US green card?

To apply for a green card, you must be a legal resident of the United States.

If you’re unsure whether your status qualifies as “green card eligible, ” consult with an immigration attorney.

To get this form of permanent residency in the United States, applicants must satisfy all three requirements:

  • A valid passport that has been issued at least six months before applying for permanent residence;
  • A valid work visa; and
  • Good health and good moral character (see below).

What is the difference between a U.S. citizen and a U.S. green card holder?

You have the right to vote, run for public office and serve on a jury.

As a U.S. citizen, you have access to all benefits of living in the United States.

For example, if your family is living outside the country and needs help with medical care or other necessities, they can apply for your sponsorship so that you can bring them over here.

As a green card holder:

You can petition for an extension of stay if there are compelling reasons why it would be inappropriate for someone else (a relative) who has been granted permanent residency status under another type of visa category, such as fiancé(e), spouse or parent

How to apply

To apply for a green card, you must apply.

The first thing to do is find out if your home country has an embassy or consulate in the U.S., and then contact them to see if they can help guide you through the process.

If your home country does not have an embassy or consulate in the United States, consider applying with USCIS by submitting a form online (ICS-360) or through the mail (Form I-485).

Suppose this is not possible for any reason. In that case, someone else will likely help complete your paperwork on behalf of USCIS—but only if they have been granted permission from their employer/sponsor company before proceeding with this step!

What supporting documents do I need when applying for a green card?

When you apply for a green card, you will need to submit the following supporting documents:

  • A passport photo. You can upload this from your computer or take one at an approved photo centre (such as Snapfish).

If you do not have a passport, it’s best to apply before getting one so that you can get your new visa before moving forward with the primary application process.

  •  Proof of identity. This may include a driver’s license or other official document confirming who you are and where exactly located in the country where you are applying for permanent residence status within U.S. borders – this includes both domestic and international addresses and phone numbers if applicable.

additionally, there should be specific information about how long someone has lived there (e.g., birthdate). While these are only examples, they must also meet specific requirements such as having verifiable signatures and being sent from organizations specializing in verifying credentials, such as banks etc.

Can I work or study in the U.S. while waiting for my green card approval?

You can work while waiting for your green card to be approved.

You must apply for a work visa and get an employment offer before applying for a green card, but there are some exceptions in which you can work without having your application approved.

If you’re planning on working in the United States, you must know what kind of visa is right for your circumstances and needs.

Can I travel outside the United States while waiting for my Green Card application to be approved?

If you are outside the United States, when your Green Card application is approved, you will receive a notice to appear for an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you.

You will be given a date and time for this interview (which may be several months away).

How long will it take to get my green card?

Applying for a U.S. green card can vary depending on your eligibility.

If you are eligible for a U.S. green card through your employer, it can take as little as six months from applying until receiving your permanent resident card (a “green card”).

Suppose you are eligible for a U.S. green card through marriage.

In that case, it will take longer than three years before receiving your permanent resident status—and even then, there is no guarantee of approval!

Several factors may affect how long it takes to get approved:

  • Your age at the time of application (you’re more likely to get approved if younger)
  • Your country of origin (you’re less likely to be approved if coming from certain countries)
  • Whether any family members already live in America
Where should I go if I have other questions about Green Cards?

If you have additional questions about the process, visit one of these websites:

  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) – The USCIS website has a wealth of information about green cards and other immigration-related topics, including how to apply for one. You can also learn more about your eligibility for different types of visas and permits at this site.
  • Department of State – The Department of State’s webpage offers helpful links related to obtaining an immigrant visa or adjusting status in the United States; it also has information about how different types of work visas affect eligibility for permanent residency in America after living here long enough so that they qualify as legal permanent residents (LPR).
  • Department Of Homeland Security – You can learn more about applying for LPR status online through the Electronic Application Center (each).
A Green Card is your ticket to living and working in the United States.

As a green card holder, you have the right to live and work in the country.

The process of getting a permanent resident status (also known as a “green card”) can be complex, but it is not difficult if you follow our easy steps below:

  • Fill out an I-130 form with all personal information about yourself and any family members who want to join you in America.
  • Submit this form along with supporting documents such as birth certificates or marriage certificates that prove your relationship with each other; income tax returns from past years if applicable; medical records for both of you showing good health conditions; recent photos taken by yourself or someone else showing clear faces that don’t have any scars/marks on them (this means no tattoos unless they’re covered up by clothing); copies of job offers from reputable companies located either within or outside U.S. borders where they’ll be working within six months after receiving their visas.
The Last Word

Congratulations! Your application has been accepted, and you are now a Green Card holder.

You will receive a letter confirming this, which you must bring when travelling outside the United States.

Suggested Articles