How to Apply for a US Work Visa

If you have an advanced degree, are a student or postgraduate, and want to work in the United States, you’ll need a work visa.

Several different types of visas allow students and postgraduates to work in the U.S.

But which one is right for you? Let’s take a look at each one:

Eligible for a US work visa

As a student, you’re not eligible for any work visa.

Several visas allow students to work in the United States. But, the qualifications for each visa are different and strict.

If you want to work in America on an H-1B visa (which is for skilled workers).

you must have at least three years of full-time experience working in your field before applying for this visa.

Also, employers must prove they cannot find qualified American workers who will accept the job offer without compensation (which makes sense).

Finally, only 1% of applicants can be awarded this type of visa yearly—so don’t expect it!

H-1B visa

H-1B visa is one of the most common work visas for international students or postgraduates with higher education degrees.

Employers use this visa to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations.

The H-1B visa also allows individuals who have obtained a U.S. bachelor’s degree or higher and have at least one year of full-time experience working for an employer in an occupational speciality.

This type of visa allows you to apply for up to three years within your first year from filing your I-129 form with USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), but it does not allow you to stay longer than this period except under extenuating circumstances such as military service or continued employment with the same company after the expiration date has been reached but before revalidation period expires; but, there exist some exceptions which may extend beyond three years depending upon your purpose behind obtaining this type of status.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

The J-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S.

It’s valid for up to five years and allows you to work there.

An organization or university can sponsor the J-1 visa holder, but their employer must also support them if they want to work more than 20 hours per week while participating in an exchange program.

H-2A Temporary Nonagricultural Worker 

H-2A Temporary Nonagricultural Worker Visa is reserved for people coming to the U.S. to perform agricultural labour or services of a temporary or seasonal nature.

To qualify for this visa, you must be sponsored by an employer for who USCIS has issued an approved petition. To apply for your H-2A visa, you will need:

  • Passport (or another identification document) showing that you have the legal right of entry into the United States

B-1 Business Visitor Visa

B-1 Business Visitor Visa permits individuals to enter the U.S. to engage in commercial or professional business activities.

The B-1 visa is not intended for employment, study, or any other type of work while living in the United States.

The B-1 visa can be extended once it has been issued and expires after six months unless you intend to visit friends without needing another extension; but, if you plan on staying longer than three months, then this visa would be better suited for you.

H-2B Temporary Nonagricultural Worker Visa

The H-2B visa is reserved for people coming to the U.S. on a one-time, seasonal, peak load, or intermittent basis.

This visa can be used by those not eligible for H1B visas and have been issued an employer’s request letter based on having enough qualified labour in their workforce.

The H2B work permit will only last up to 12 months, but it can be extended if needed until the end of your contract period (this applies even if you already have another job).

O-1 Visa is reserved for people with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, film, and television.

The O-1 visa is reserved for people with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, film, and television.

This visa has a strict definition of exceptional ability that differs from the more general E-1 and E-2 visas.

The O-1 visa requires applicants to prove they are a manager or executive who can immediately contribute to the U.S., such as being responsible for hiring decisions or day-to-day operations at your company.

If you have been offered this position but have not yet accepted it (or if your current employer opposes it), you should consult with an immigration attorney before applying for this type of visa, as it could affect future job opportunities if your application is denied later on down the line due to paperwork issues or other reasons beyond your control.

H-3 Trainee Visa

The H-3 visa is reserved for people coming to the United States to receive training that isn’t available in their home countries with no intention of entering into a U.S. employment relationship upon completion of the training program.

It allows individuals to work for a specific employer for a particular period.

The H-1B visa classification allows an alien who has been admitted as an employee within the United States according to section 101(a)(15) or (a)(17) of the Immigration Act (8 U.S.C., secs., 1101(a)(15), 1151-1156), and who possesses other qualifications required by law; but it does not authorize an employer’s willful refusal by reason only thereof, without cause shown, on account of race, colour or national origin; religion; age; sex; marital status or handicap – which [Visa] category may be granted if there is insufficient domestic need for the such person at his place of employment or where he would otherwise be unable to that

The Last Word

We hope you found this article helpful.

Suggested Articles